The summer transfer window is approaching and there is a lot of gossip floating around about who is going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Koundé, Koulibaly on Les Bleus wishlist
Chelsea will need to rebuild their defense ahead of the 2022-23 season and have already drawn up a shortlist which includes Sevilla Jules Koundethat of Naples Kalidou Koulibaly and Leicester City Wesley Fofanaaccording to Telegraph.
Andreas Christensen and Antonio Rudiger will leave Stamford Bridge this summer, while Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso could also follow them through the exit doors. Consequently, the club – which took a step closer to finalizing its sale to the Todd Boehly-led group on Tuesday – have started working to fill those places.
Chelsea’s interest in Koundé has been reported for a long time, and the Frenchman continues to top the list after a previous attempt in January failed.
Also in the mix are Villarreal Paul Torres – who has been closely linked with Manchester United – and Atletico Madrid Jose Gimenez. of RB Leipzig Josko Gvardiol is another who has been linked, with the feeling that the Croatian could replace Rudiger at left centre-back.
The Blues are also aiming to bring in a midfielder – although West Ham United Declan Rice looks out of reach – while a move could be made for Manchester City Rahim Sterling if he decides to look for a new challenge.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
LIVE BLOG (by Danny Lewis)
10.02 BST: Real Madrid close to signing AS Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni on a five-year deal, sources have told ESPN’s Rodrigo Faez and Julien Laurens.
The player wants to join Madrid, who had faced competition from Liverpool, and the final details of the deal are being worked out, with the LaLiga club set to pay a transfer fee of around €80m.
Tchouameni, 22, is the second player Real Madrid have signed up for this summer, having already agreed to sign defender Antonio Rudiger on a free transfer from Chelsea.
ESPN reported on Monday that Madrid and Liverpool are the two clubs best placed to sign the sought-after midfielder, while Kylian Mbappewho snubbed a move to Madrid last week, had also asked Paris Saint-Germain to move for friend Tchouameni.
After being turned down by Mbappe, Tchouameni was next on Madrid’s transfer priority list for this summer as they look to bring in a defensive midfielder as an alternative to Casemiro.
09:25 BST: Arsenal have announced that midfielder Mohamed Elneny has signed a new contract with the club.
The Gunners have not confirmed the length of the deal, but the Egypt international has told the club’s official website that he would like to retire with them.
The 29-year-old said“I feel like when you play for one of the biggest teams in the world and you have an amazing family and the fans are really amazing too – they make me feel special.
“You feel special for this club and this club is special for you. Of course I want to stay here until I finish my career actually.”
✊ Committed to Arsenal
✍️ We are delighted to announce that Mo Elneny has signed a new contract
— Arsenal (@Arsenal) May 25, 2022
08:43 BST: Serie A club Salernitana have identified Edinson Cavani and Marko Arnautovic as two strikers they would like to sign this summer.
Cavani, 35, made his final appearance for United on Sunday and will be out of contract this summer while Arnautovic scored 15 goals in 34 appearances in his debut season at Italian club Bologna.
Salernitana narrowly avoided relegation from Serie A but club president Danilo Iervolino is hoping some experienced forwards can help them stabilize next season.
“I would love to sign Edinson Cavani as a free agent” he said. “Cavani would be an incredible gift for the city, because Salernitana stays in Serie A.
“I will say two names that seem impossible, but if they were possible and the coach liked them, I would try to sign Edinson Cavani, who left unforgettable memories in this region, and Marko Arnautovic, who embodies the football of the warriors.”
08:00 BST: The British government announced on Wednesday that it had issued a license granting the sale of Chelsea to the Todd Boehly/Clearlake consortium.
The club was put up for sale after Roman Abramovich was sanctioned by the government for his links to Vladimir Putin after Russia invaded Ukraine.
“Late last night the UK Government came to a position where we could issue a license authorizing the sale of Chelsea,” a government spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, the Premier League officially approved the Boehly-led takeover worth £4.25 billion ($5.33 billion).
Once the sale is confirmed, Chelsea will once again be able to conduct transfer business and offer players new contracts.
– The Team announced that Paris Saint-Germain were ready to leave Neymar move on if they receive a suitable offer. The club, freshly signed Kylian Mbappe to a blockbuster extension, could undergo changes with sources previously telling ESPN that Luis Campos will be appointed as the new sporting director and that Mauricio Pochettino’s future as manager remains cloudy.
– Brand reported that Barcelona were growing impatient with Ousmane Dembele, who still hasn’t signed a contract extension despite his contract ending this summer. Xavi Hernandez wants the Frenchman to stay but the directors insist the winger is not essential and needs to compromise in the negotiations. Report says blocking Dembele could slow Leeds United move Raphinha. Both PSG and Bayern Munich have been linked with Dembele before.
– With Erling Haaland set to complete move to Manchester City, Premier League champions are also interested in Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillipsreports BBC Sports. Pep Guardiola is especially keen to strengthen his midfield due to the confirmed departure of Fernandinho. Leeds staying on their feet are believed to potentially make the deal harder to complete.
– According to the mirrorTottenham Hotspur manager Antonio Conte wants to bring in Eintracht Frankfurt Philippe Kostic as a left-back, this coming after the club announced a £150m capital raise. As well as filling that role, they also hope to bring in two centre-backs, a right-back, a midfielder and a striker.
– mason mount will discuss a new deal with Chelsea in the coming months, as reported fabrice romano, who adds that the midfielder has already been waiting for months. His current contract ends in 2024. The Chelsea board will also discuss the future of N’Golo Kante and Jorginho, among others.
– Diego Simeone played for Udinese Nahuel Molina the priority as Atletico Madrid aim to strengthen at right-back, according to Sky Sports Italy. It’s unlikely to be a straightforward deal to make as Udinese are asking for €30m as Atleti would need to offload some players before taking action. Arsenal are said to be one of many other clubs interested in the Argentine.